Wednesday, December 6, 2017

The Surprising Superieurs

I received an unexpected surprise (aren't they all?) this afternoon when Charlie McElvy, creator of the Watchguard Universe, sent out the following image to those who supported the Kickstarter campaign for his Watchguard and/or Teen Force 5 comics.


The above ass-kicking was provided by Chahine Ladjouze and gloriously displays Charlie's subtly Canadian super team, Les Superieurs. The image will be used for the cover to an upcoming WatchGuard Sourcebook supplement.

My surprise stems from the fact that I supported the WatchGuard campaign...in early 2012.

I did so knowing full well that Les Superieurs were peripheral to it, of course. It wasn't about them, they just happened to inhabit the same setting. The Watchguard characters were interesting enough on their own though and supporting the "universe" could only help the Superieurs material get made, so onwards.

Since then I've enjoyed purchasing character fact sheets for the various team members or some of their opponents. They are reference material for the Mutants & Masterminds role-playing game, is my understanding, which I don't play, but they provide a great deal of background material on their respective subject.

It had been quite some time since I'd had the opportunity to purchase one so I figured this was one of many, many projects I've backed in which the creator(s) lose(s) interest for whatever reason, such as Heroes Of The North and Legion Unleashed.

(No knock, by the way. Life happens. It's all I can do to maintain this blog, let alone create a comic series or write a novel)

Today's teaser confirms that a) the project is still a go and b) I should quit doubting Charlie because whenever I give up on seeing Les Superieurs, they resurface in some way. Hopefully there's still a chance that a comic book will follow as well, along the lines of the one that was produced for Watchguard. Just, you know...Don't go camping out in front of your local RPG or comics store just yet.

In the process of refreshing my memory about this team, I found this character as well.


Defending Canada's provinces and territories from villainy isn't an easy job. Luckily the nation has Red Serge as their national hero! A member of the RCMP that uses a strange, crimson-colored energy to fight the forces of evil, he protects the nation from villainy both within its borders and beyond them.

I have no idea how he fits into all this, in fact I don't believe he does. He may just be a pre-made character for those who want to play the Mutants & Masterminds game but not a part of the Watchguard Universe as such. Still, I dig the design and who knows? Just because he's not in Les Superieurs doesn't mean he can't operate on his own in Watchguard Canada.